Strange sender log file characters

dfirth denys.firth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 01:46:23 GMT 2008

I believe I have found the reason/cause.
The (source) disk in question had been part of a linux (fake) raid1 setup
that started having errors. The raid was undone, and this seemed to fix the
errors. However, I have now noticed that readings of disk usage were odd and
that some parts of the disk were reportedly unreadable. I ran a e2fsck and
it was riddled with errors, some unfixable.
I have mirrored the disk using rsync (with still some read errors reported).
The log files are now OK on the new disk using the same rsync script.
So I believe the cause was a badly corrupted disk. (If I had given you the
complete rsync log file you would have seen at the start the 8 or so
file/folders with either file vanished or input/output error(5) which would
have given a clue, I guess.)
Your quick response was much appreciated (what a great tool rsync is!)
Denys