Compression error? -- "Inflate (token) returned -5"

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Oct 9 14:54:43 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 11:28:31PM +0200, Bas van Schaik wrote:
> Since this is a production environment I'd like to stick to 3.0.3
> (which is already newer than I'd like to use...) in stead of upgrading
> to 3.0.4, unless have very good reasons to believe it is really fixed
> in that last version.

There has not been any fixing done to the compression code in any recent
version.  The cause is probably the receiver not applying quite the same
compressed data as the sender.  I wonder if there was a false checksum
match in the file?  In such a case, the sender and the receiver would
compress different "matching" data, and could potentially get out of
sync.  It should be possible to synthesize a file like that and see if
it triggers the inflate error.  If so, I doubt there's a fix other than
to not allow rsync to include matched (unsent) data in the compression
stream.