Why is -e sent to the remote rsync side?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Oct 5 22:30:30 GMT 2008

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 06:47:47AM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> The reason this is brought up is because I'm using rssh
> (http://www.pizzashack.org/rssh/) as the user's shell to limit that
> user to only be allowed to run rsync.

I looked at the source, and created a patch to make it just require the
--server option as the first option.

While I was looking at the code, I noticed that the check_command()
function was busted in that it would accept any abbreviated path of a
command (e.g. "/usr/bin/rs" would match "/usr/bin/rsync").  The author
apparently didn't know that strncmp() stops at a null (unlike memcmp()),
so the length-trimming that is done can just be removed.  My patch fixes
that too.