rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon May 19 22:44:08 GMT 2008

JanakiRam, please CC the rsync list in replies so that your messages
are archived and others can help you.

On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 02:34 -0700, JanakiRam wrote:
> > > Is there any way i can specify the custom delimiter to rsync to read
> > > the file names. Please help me to solve this.
> >
> > You can use a null byte ('\0') as the delimiter if you pass --from0 .

> I'm new to rsync and its usage , Can you please provide an example/
> pointers/links for such usage.

You could use tr to convert your existing newline-separated file list
(let LIST represent its name) to a null-separated one to pass to rsync:

tr '\n' '\0' <LIST | rsync --files-from=- --from0 ...

Matt