Again a compression question

rssrik rssrik at yahoo.co.in
Mon May 5 05:54:38 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I have tried searching for the posts, and I couldn't get a clear idea on it
So I'm posting

I am working on a backup solution for databases. I am trying to apply rsync
to manage bandwidth. Since the backup is     >1 GB, I have to compress it in
both the source and backup servers. Is there any method by which I can tell
"rsync" to uncompress the files at both source and destination, transfer the
uncompressed file and compress it again using rsync.

Is there an alternate method to doing it, (via simple shell scripts etc) .
Any ideas to accomplish this is most appreciated.

Thanks,
rssrik