[root@84-45-228-40.no-dns-yet.enta.net: Cron <chris@home> rsync -r --exclude /In/ --exclude /Lirsync error message that I don't understand

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Mar 25 13:27:14 GMT 2008

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:31:37PM +0100, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Tue 25 Mar 2008, Chris G wrote:

> > > Does /rdiffBackup/gradwell/Mail/ exist below /home/chris/MailArchive/ ?
> > >
> > No:-
>
> Oops, sorry, I don't know what I was thinking...
> (before my 1st mug of coffee, I think :-)
>

> >     chris$ ls /home/chris/MailArchive/
> >     boating  friends   holidays   isbd     money     selling software  vehicles
> >     family   garden    houseHome  jobs     personal  sentmail telecoms  work
> >     france   hardware  internet   leisure  riding    shopping  trimble
> >
> >     chris$ ls /rdiffBackup/gradwell/Mail/
> >     In  Tm       family  friends  hardware  houseHome  isbd  leisure personal  selling   software  vehicles
> >     Li  boating  france  garden   holidays  internet   jobs  money riding    shopping  telecoms  work
>
> Could you do an "ls -la /rdiffBackup/gradwell/Mail/" ? and perhaps also
> without the trailing slash.

It's the same with and without the trailing /.

    chris$ ls -la /rdiffBackup/gradwell/Mail
    total 104
    drwxr-xr-x 26 chris chris 4096 2007-12-23 18:56 .
    drwxr-xr-x 26 chris chris 4096 2008-03-24 17:46 ..
    drwx------  8 chris chris 4096 2008-02-24 19:15 In
    drwx------ 37 chris chris 4096 2008-02-26 12:37 Li
    drwx------ 11 chris chris 4096 2008-03-05 12:05 Tm
    drwx------  5 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:16 boating
    drwx------ 14 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:22 family
    drwx------ 14 chris chris 4096 2008-01-29 13:47 france
    drwx------ 47 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:20 friends
    drwx------  8 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:16 garden
    drwx------ 13 chris chris 4096 2007-12-14 13:21 hardware
    drwx------  8 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:26 holidays
    drwx------ 13 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:18 houseHome
    drwx------ 10 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:15 internet
    drwx------ 30 chris chris 4096 2008-03-10 09:58 isbd
    drwx------ 21 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:13 jobs
    drwx------  3 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:22 leisure
    drwx------  9 chris chris 4096 2007-12-13 09:17 money
    drwx------  6 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:18 personal
    drwx------ 28 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:18 riding
    drwx------  7 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:18 selling
    drwx------ 20 chris chris 4096 2008-03-24 10:35 shopping
    drwx------  7 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:28 software
    drwx------  8 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:18 telecoms
    drwx------  8 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:12 vehicles
    drwx------  4 chris chris 4096 2007-12-12 23:22 work

> Also running rsync with multiple -v options may help show what's wrong.

I have just tried from the command line and got no error, the error
was from a cron run lat night.  I have added some -v to the crontab
and we'll see if I get a repeat of the error tonight.

> BTW, is there a reason why you're doing -r and not -a ?

I don't want some of the options that -a gives me, in particular not
the -D and -l.

--
Chris Green