Mailing list replies (was: Bad habits)

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Mar 20 16:53:29 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:09:57AM +0000, Stuart Halliday wrote:
> Is it just me or a lot of people on this mailing list got into a bad habit
> of also carbon copying to the poster as well?

I always send the mail to the person I am replying to and Cc the list.
This is not a bad habit, but what I consider the right thing to do.

The list software has a "nodups" setting (that is on by default) which
removes the mailing-list copy if your address is listed in the To or Cc
field.  I see that your subscription has this flag set, so if you are
getting duplicates, I wonder if it is because your email address does
not exactly match (due to the list version being all lower-case)?  If
that is indeed the problem, then this is a bug in the list software.
I've tweaked your email in the To header to test this (you shouldn't
see a duplicate of this one).