Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Mar 20 16:28:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 07:04 -0700, Peter Heiss wrote:
> # rsync -zav --progress root@<remote-server-ip>::realperson
> /random/file-or-directory
> rsync: failed to connect to <remote-server-ip>: Connection timed out (110)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
> [receiver=2.6.9]
>
> I have set up the daemon on the remote machine and I have ran "rsync
> --daemon" to start up the daemon server. I also have enabled the rsync
> server on the firewall. I also want to restate that I am reconfiguring rsync
> on a previously new installed system, and the ssh errors are fixed. What am
> I still missing?

I don't know, but here are a few things you can try.  First, confirm
that the daemon is accepting connections by running "nc localhost 873"
on the remote machine.  You should see the daemon's greeting, beginning
with "@RSYNCD".  Then, attempt to the daemon by running
"nc <remote-server-ip> 873" on the local machine.  If the first command
works but the second times out, then there is something blocking the
connection.  The most common cause would be a firewall, but you say
you've opened the port in the firewall, so I don't know what it could
be.

Matt