Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Mar 14 17:05:55 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-14 at 14:15 +0000, Stuart Halliday wrote:
> Forget ssh until you've got it working as plain vanilla Rsync.
>
> Like I said in my 1st posting. Get a working daemon and then list a rsync
> folder using a Rsync list command.
>
> Don't do anything else until you've got that working.
> You're trying to skip ahead me thinks. :-)

That may be good advice on Windows, where installing ssh and setting up
an ssh server can involve several extra steps.  On Linux, I beg to
differ.  Most Linux machines already have ssh set up, so rsync over ssh
is simpler and easier than setting up a daemon (but not necessarily
better depending on server security requirements).

Matt