Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Geofoxer pete.heiss at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 13:35:55 GMT 2008

Thanks for your response, I think that I am on my way of getting stuff
configured here. I still have a couple of questions though. I am also using
linux with rsync!!! There are a couple of errors that I am getting, and I
don't exactly understand why...

I have set up the rysnc daemon successfully on the remote server (I think),
which prompts for the password when I connect. I get the following error
when I run rsync daemon:

# rsync daemon
rsync: link_stat "/directory-path/daemon" failed: No such file or directory
(2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(977)
[sender=2.6.9]

Is there anything that I still have to configure for the rsync daemon? I
also get the following error when I run the following command:

# rsync --progress -zav -e ssh /random/file-or-directory
<remote-server-ip-address>:/random/file-or-directory
Password:
building file list ...
1 file to consider
ERROR: cannot overwrite non-directory with a directory
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at
main.c(488) [receiver=2.6.8]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (8 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(453)
[sender=2.6.9]

Is this an error from a lack of rights to the files and folders that I want
to copy? I might have misconfigured my config, I can post it if you want.

-----