Incremental file updates over a network, NFS?

Andy Smith a.smith at ukgrid.net
Fri Mar 14 11:46:46 GMT 2008

Hi list,

  can anyone point me at some consise info on when rsync is capable of performing incremental updates
of binary files? I need to rsync over a network, and currently I have this over an NFS share but I suppose
that even if binary updates are possible there not going to do much good as reading the remote file over
NFS to check what needs to be updated will use the same bandwidth as copying the whole file.
But to be honest, although I've tried to read up on it, Im still not really sure how rsync achieves incremental
coping of files so Im not in a very strong position to speculate! ;) If someone could enlighten me that
would be great!!

thanks, Andy.