link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive

David Overton david at overtons.id.au
Wed Jun 25 23:01:13 GMT 2008

Hi,

On 26/06/2008, fglos <feglos at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I have setup rsync to backup another linux computer with the link-dest option
>  and realized storage savings.  1st backup is 31gb, daily backups only take
>  approx 4gb. But when I rsync with link-dest to usb external drive all
>  backups take up 31gb.  Following is 1st the one that works and 2nd with no
>  storage savings.  Any ideas?  Thanks, Frank

Is it possible that the external disk is formatted with a file system
that doesn't support hard links?  If it is formatted with a Linux/Unix
fs such as ext3 it should be ok.  I think NTFS should work too.  But if
it is formatted for FAT32 or some variant then you cannot create hard
links so there can be no saving from --link-dest.

David