send_files fails to open file not in source or dest

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jun 6 01:40:21 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 16:14 -0400, Bit Byte wrote:
> I am getting a very strange rsync error:
>
> send_files failed to
> open /mydir/another/dir/goes/right/here/finally/crazyfilename.xx-what:
> No such file or directory
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(1045)

> The thing that strikes me as so odd is that crazyfilename.xx-what does
> not exist in either the source or destination.

> Both boxes are CentOS 3.9 running rsync 2.5.7.

Most likely the file existed in the source when rsync built the file
list but was gone by the time rsync tried to transfer it, so rsync
skipped the transfer.  This is usually nothing to worry about.  Since
version 2.6.0, rsync reports this situation as "file has vanished" and
exits with code 24 instead of 23; if you upgrade rsync, you can
distinguish vanishings from actual errors.

> (Perhaps off topic, but...  rsync doesn't store any metadata anywhere
> that persists between invocations, does it?  Surely not.)

Rsync does not store metadata.

Matt