Feature request: backup-max-size param

Rubén Clérigo ruben at nroot.info
Thu Jul 31 16:44:57 GMT 2008

Hello

I have started to use rsync to backup my personal files to a server. I
keep my mirrored files on a server folder called /uptodate and (I use
--backup option) the changes from last backup are moved by rsync to
/changes-20080731 (for example). This is great, and it lets me keep
several versions of my files.

The problem is that I cannot backup large files that way, because if I
backup for example my email inbox file (nearly 2GB), every day I get a
2GB file on the /changes-XXXXXX folder. This would fill my disk very
quick and is useless as the difference with the uptodate version of
those files is just a few KBs from each day's messages.

I know I can control file sizes with --max-size, but my problem is not
on transfer but on backing up at the server. Would it be possible to
specify not to back up files larger than a given size?

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Great job, keep at it.

Best regards.

Ruben.