Yet another rsync incremental thread

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Jul 18 19:35:01 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-18 at 12:40 +0200, macuserfr wrote:
> What's new? On my new job I have several servers to
> administrate. Servers that aren't backed up (sic). So, there's why I'm
> back to rsync.
>
> The backup plan I would like:
>
> 1) Client side: PCs running rsync (or cwrsync with UTF-8 mod for long
> names for windows ones). They run rsync (I don't need data encryption
> so no need to ssh unless it's simpler) and pull data they want to the
> backup server. This side is OK.

I think you mean "push".

> 2) Server side: A standard PC with FreeNAS FreeBSD distrib, RAID-1
> disks and rsync server. Here I would like the backups to be
> incremental and rotated, with a sort of time stamp. Here is where
> things get complicated.

Just use an rsync daemon wired up to an rsnapshot installation in
sync_first mode, where the daemon module points to the .sync dir in the
snapshot root and the "post-xfer exec" command calls "rsnapshot
LOWEST-INTERVAL".  You can use a listening daemon or a single-use daemon
over ssh as you prefer.  This is the approach I've been recommending for
pushing hard-linked backups for a while; it achieves everything you want
without modifying any of the tools.  I helped Eric Johansson with a
similar setup a while ago:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2007-December/019470.html

If you have multiple clients pushing backups, it's simplest to have a
separate module and snapshot root for each client.  To keep things
manageable, you can write a script to automatically generate the
individual rsnapshot.conf files by substituting the necessary values
into a template.

Matt