RFE: extend --keep-dirlinks to files also

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Jul 8 16:45:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 15:28 +0200, Hendrik Maryns wrote:
> > A --keep-links option may still be worth having in rsync.  Updating a
> > file atomically through a symlink is nontrivial (one has to readlink the
> > chain of symlinks and combine the paths to find the ultimate location to
> > rename to), but Unison implements this, so I don't see why rsync
> > couldn't.
>
> Should I put an RFE somewhere officially?

If you like, you could enter a RFE in the rsync bugzilla at:

https://bugzilla.samba.org/

Entering an RFE doesn't guarantee that Wayne will implement it or that
any implementation would be adopted in the main rsync.  You can always
implement it yourself and attach the patch for anyone else who wants the
option to use.

Matt