RFE: extend --keep-dirlinks to files also

Hendrik Maryns qwizv9b02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Jul 7 10:49:48 GMT 2008

Hi,

I just read the thread
http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-June/009678.html which
describes how --keep-dirlinks came to be.  My use case is similar, but
I’d like a similar option for files as well.

Setup: in my public_html I have some symlinks which I send over as
files, with -L (for various reasons: partly, because they are copies of
current work which is done elsewhere, or because several websites use
the same files, such as SSI footers).  However, I also want to check
whether my colleague changed the files on the server, so first I do an
update.  However, this replaces the links with the files themselves.

My current usage is:

# First look whether stuff changed on the other side (shouldn’t)
# rsync -rtKPuzb webserver:public_html/ /home/hendrik/public_html/Hendrik/
# Then put changes from here.
rsync -rtkKLPzC --delete --delete-excluded
--exclude-from=/home/hendrik/.website-exclude
/home/hendrik/public_html/Hendrik/ webserver:public_html

As you can see, I have the first line commented out, because it replaces
symlinks.  I’d like something similar to --keep-dirlinks which follows
links on the receiver and compares the files linked to with those sent.

Is this possible, or is it an RFE?

Cheers, H.
--
Hendrik Maryns