Handful of files are giving me error 13, directory executable bit issue

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Jul 7 00:44:57 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 11:27 -0700, mike wrote:
> I am getting a handful of these errors, and I am not sure why. The
> directories in question have rights like this:
>
> drw-r--r-- 2 osstbb osstbb 42 2008-05-02 00:04 12981826/

> rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat
> "/home/backups/linux01/home/clientdir/web/webapps/ROOT/videotemp/RollingDemo_media/images/bottom_center.jpg":
> Permission denied (13)

A directory's execute permission governs traversal of its entries, so a
non-root user needs execute permission on a directory to access files
inside.  The error comes when the generator (one of the two rsync
processes on the receiving side) fails to manipulate files inside the
nonexecutable destination directories.

It's almost always a mistake for a directory to grant a user class
(owner, group, or world) read permission without the corresponding
execute permission.  I recommend that you chmod the nonexecutable source
directories and fix whatever program created them.  If you don't want to
do that, you could pass --chmod=Dugo+X to have rsync create destination
directories with all the execute permissions on, regardless of the
source permissions.  (You may have to fix existing destination
directories by hand.)

Matt