rsync: failed to set times on ***

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Jul 2 18:36:09 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-02 at 10:18 -0700, stratton wrote:
> I#m trying to rsync from 1 server to another with the following command:
> rsync -auzv --stats  /cygdrive/d/path/to/dir/  CWsync at servername::dyndns
> --exclude=config/ --delete >>%RSYNCLOG% 2>>%RSYNCERROR%
>
> the dyndns directory is specified in the rsync.conf on the receiving server.
>
> The server where i'm executing the command is a windows 2003 server and the
> receiving server is a linux srver with red hat.
> on the windows server rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28 is
> installed.
> on the linux server rsync  version 2.6.8  protocol version 29.
> after executing the command it stops after a second with the following error
> message:
>
> rsync: failed to set times on "****" (in dyndns): Operation not permitted
> (1)
> ****
> ****
> rsync: failed to set times on "****" (in dyndns): Operation not permitted
> (1)

> i made the user rsyncd owner of the whole directory to synchronize so it
> can't be file system permissions.

Are you sure?  Please post your daemon configuration and "ls -l" output
for the affected destination files.

> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes: phase "unknown" [sender]:
> Connection reset by peer (104)
> rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(515)

The loss of the connection looks like a separate problem.  See if there
is any information about what happened in the daemon's log file.
Running the client and daemon under strace might yield more information.

Also, consider upgrading to a newer version of rsync on both sides.  The
newest is 3.0.3.

Matt