accurate progress for UI

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Wed Jan 30 15:21:45 GMT 2008

On Wed 30 Jan 2008, Fabian Cenedese wrote:
> At 06:35 30.01.2008 -0500, Robert DuToit wrote:
> >On Jan 30, 2008, at 3:46 AM, Paul Slootman wrote:
> >>
> >>Do note that disabling the incremental recursion will impact the
> >>performance, esp. with a large number of files.
> >
> >I did some tests (I am becoming the OSX rsync_3 benchmark guy!) and
> >for 15GB Home folder, there was only a slight difference in
> >performance but see that could grow considerably with larger numbers.

> If you have a lot of files then rsync will build up the whole file list in
> memory (without incremental). So the memory limit may be more
> important than any performance hit. If you leave the decision to the

If the list very large (note that size of the files involved is
completely irrelevant! hence the 15GB number is meaningless, that could
be 4 DVD images or 1 million images) then first one end of the transfer
builds the filelist, transfers it, after which the other end builds its
own filelist and at the end starts comparing the list. If building the
list takes 1 hour, then the transfer without incremental recursion could
take 1 hour longer, even if only one or two files are updated...
Been there, done that...

Paul Slootman