Prefer -u not to change newer files.

Donald Axel donax at ruc.dk
Sun Jan 27 17:45:44 GMT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 06:33:13 -0500
Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 12:20 +0100, Donald Axel wrote:
> > > OK...could you give us a concrete example in which it is helpful to have
> > > the straight "only if newer" behavior instead of the current one?

[... cut...]

> > Maybe there are other ways to accomplish the same, SVN or CVS maybe?
> > And maybe that would be a better solution in the long run, but I am not
> > sure at the moment that SVN is an option.
> >
> >    Thanks for reading, I hope it was not too long after all:-)
>
> That's nothing compared to some of the messages on this list.  :)
>
> Yes, you should probably be using something better suited for the
> purpose than rsync.  You could use a two-way synchronization tool such
> as Unison ( http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ ), which has a
> nice GUI, preserves file attributes, and supports basic textual merging
> of changes to the same file on both sides.  Or you could use full-blown
> version control, which will give you more help with merges (and keep
> history in case you mess up) but not as much with file attributes.  If
> you explain what the issue with SVN is, I might be able to suggest a
> different version control system or setup that would work.

Thank you for the link to Unison, which so far is the best for my situation.

Our network is not very open, so therefore I hesitated establishing an
SVN solution, which should be visible from anywhere. Maybe I could use
my workstation (Linux) and just sync it to a server which is backed up.

Your answers have been very helpful! Thanks again.

   Donald Axel

--
http://akira.ruc.dk/~donax -- Donald Axel -- http://journalistik.ruc.dk/~donax/weblog