Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Jan 27 12:39:03 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 06:49 -0500, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> Also remember that, since Mac OS before 10.4 doesn't support arbitrarily
> named xattrs, only a few {get,set}xattr calls have {get,set}attrlist
> equivalents, namely those that access "com.apple.ResourceFork",
> "com.apple.FinderInfo", or "com.apple.crtime96" (the rsync-specific name
> for the creation time).

I take one third of that back.  Based on the patched rsync 2.5.5, it
looks like the filesystem exposes the resource fork of a file F as a
file at the path "F/rsrc".  To perform a getxattr(F,
"com.apple.ResourceFork"), rsync will have to open and read "F/rsrc",
not call getattrlist.  (Supposedly the "F/rsrc" syntax is deprecated,
but rsync will only use it in Mac OS 10.3 and earlier, so we don't
care.)

Matt