Making rsync compile under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes

Vitorio Machado v.machado at permanence-informatique.fr
Thu Jan 24 12:25:31 GMT 2008

Somebody knows if it's possible to compile rsync (version 3 would be
great, but can be 2.6.x) under Mac OS X 10.3.9 with extended attributes?

Under OS 10.3.9 the Apple shipped rsync have not yet the -E argument
option. RsyncX have a double free bug that is annoying. "Q" rsync
2.6.6 with extended attributes binary only works on 10.4 and above.

I have tried to compile rsync from source but the problem I found is
that the xattr patch seems to need the acl patch. But 10.3 doesn't
have the ACL support so doesn't provides the expected headers and the
make command fails.

I will try out 2 more things:
1) Ignore the instructions of xattr patch and do not apply the acl
patch before xattr (but if those instructions are there, I'm almost
sure it's for a good reason...)
2) Try to get a patched rsync via fink or darwinport

But I would appreciate any help or feedback about compiling a extended-
attribute rsync on 10.3.9, even more if it's the last version (meaning
that rsync could still progress on those macs and the development is
not closed for them).

Best regards,

Vitorio Machado