error code 10 when using ::

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Jan 2 02:20:06 GMT 2008

Le mardi 01 janvier 2008, Matt McCutchen a écrit :
> > 2. Even the one that works requires me to enter my local root password
> > and then the remote root password. Is this secure enough?
>
> You'll have to decide that for yourself.  SSH does encrypt the remote
> root password before sending it over the network.

IIRC, rsync protocol do not transfert password in clear text, but use a
challenge method to perform the password verification.

This mean either with rsync or ssh, the authentication is "secure". But saying
both are secure is not enough, it depend the security level you want.

When you use ssh, all data are completely encrypted, you can use either ssh
key or password authentication.
When you use rsync daemon, transfert are faster (no encryption eating CPU),
but anyone being on the network can snif traffic, then getting data.

So this choice depend  on what you need to protect (authentication only or
also transferred data). For a www tree, we can assume all data will become
public, and so hidding it is useless.

My 2cts.