Rsync to a Read Only file system

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Wed Feb 13 15:43:56 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 08:28 +0100, Alan Snelgrove wrote:
> The problem is that I am syncing to a HFSPlus volume that
> occasionally decides to go read-only, so the share Download is
> unintentially on a Read only Volume.

That's obstreperous.  You could give the module a "pre-xfer exec" script
like the one below to refuse pushes when the module is mounted
read-only:

#!/bin/bash
[ "$RSYNC_ARG2" = "--sender" ] || [ -w <module-path> ]

> The  -i option also indicates
> the file is copied when it is not.

By default, -i prints each file when rsync starts transferring it.  This
is meant to give a more useful idea of rsync's status: if it is taking a
while, you know it is working on the file it just mentioned.  If a file
transfer fails, it's not as if rsync can unprint the itemize line.  If
you want a record of the files successfully copied by rsync, use
--log-file .

Matt