Rsync 2.6.9 does not skip any files based on modification time

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Fri Feb 8 09:03:23 GMT 2008

On Fri 08 Feb 2008, Stefan Malte Schumacher wrote:

> I am trying to rsync some ghost images from a windows client running Windows
> XP to my Linux server. The problem is that rsync sends the complete files
> again even if nothing changed on the client side. The only way to avoid this
> is to use the "-c"-option but this takes nearly as long as uploading the
> files would.
>
> The server is running rsync-2.6.9, /etc/rsyncd.conf looks as follows.
> /mnt/D/ is a FAT32 partition.
[...]
> used to call rsync from cwrsync.cmd
> rsync -rvvvv --del --modify-window=3 /cygdrive/E/HDD-Abbilder/
> stefan at 192.168.99.10::HDD-Abbilder

You're correctly using --modify-window, which is otherwise the probable
solution to your problem. However, somehow rsync still considers an
update necessary. You can use -i (--itemize-changes) to let rsync show
what attributes are incorrect, triggering the update.  Once you know
that, you can try to fix it.

Paul Slootman