Odd behavior in an exclude-file

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Dec 22 21:38:20 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-19 at 10:01 -0600, Roy F. Cabaniss wrote:
> rsync -avl --stats --progress --timeout=300 --exclude-from "/home/foo/bin/exclude.txt" /home /mnt/sdc2

> Since there are, as with any backups, files I don't want to bother backing up
> I created an exclude file and stored it in my bin.
>

> - /home/foo/vmware
> - /home/foo/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/spam/*
> - /home/foo/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.spam.directory/*
> - /home/foo/.mozilla/firefox/tigy4u04.default/Cache
> - /home/foo/packages
> - /home/foo/.cxgames
> - /home/foo/.cxoffice
> - /home/foo/.beagle
> - /home/foo/downloads/images
>
> With the rsync script in the /home/foo/bin I ran the script with myself as
> root in the root directory.  Which leads to the reason for this letter.
>
> The exclude file appears to have worked, with one exception.

> Much to my surprise, the images directory was
> in the backup along with its contents.  I can assure you that the path is as
> given.
>
> Is there any idea why I got that one directory in the backup?

Perhaps run "od -t x1c" on the exclude file to see if there is anything
funny about the last line.  E.g., if there is a trailing space, that
would prevent the rule from matching.

If that isn't it, you could see if the last rule works if you move it
earlier in the exclude file, or if you change it to just "-
images" (which probably excludes more than you want but could shed light
on the problem).

--
Matt