generating and using ssh keys with rsync

Tamara Temple tamouse at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:59:58 GMT 2008

I don't have a program called "ssh-copy-id" on my system....

I scp'd the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub file from the local machine to the
remote machine, appended it to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote
machine, and it's still asking for a password whenever i ssh to the
remote machine.

On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:26 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
>> I'm having troubles generating and using keys with rsync over ssh.
>> The
>> server I'm backing up to has a different name and IP internally than
>> is seen by the external source machine running rsync. How do I set up
>> the keys in this case?
>
> First check that you can run a remote command over ssh using a
> manually
> entered password:
>
> ssh USER at REMOTEHOST echo foo
>
> Then you just need to add the contents of the client user's
> ~/.ssh/id*.pub to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
> There's a program "ssh-copy-id" that will do this for you.  The
> public-key authentication itself doesn't care about hostnames or IP
> addresses, so your special setup should not present a problem here.
>
> Matt

Tamara Temple
   --- aka tamouse__
tamara at tamaratemple.com

"May you never see a stranger's face in the mirror"