Syntax of Exclude File

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Apr 28 02:16:35 GMT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 07:44:11AM -0400, Tim Evans wrote:
> Purpose of the entry is to exclude any directory or subdirectory named
> "TMP" from backup via rsync, but it's not doing it.  What am I doing
> wrong?

I can only makes guesses:

If you have some dirs that differ in case, try this:

- [Tt][Mm][Pp]/

If all the dirs are named exactly "TMP", make sure that your exclude
rule does not have any surrounding whitespace (it must be exactly

Finally, check that you have the rules in the right order.  Running
rsync with more -v options will tell you if a prior rule is matching
the TMP dir, and thus that exclude would have no effect.