Incorrect Total File Size

Nittany Jim nittany_jim at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 11 20:39:58 GMT 2008

Greetings,

I am rsync'ing a file approximately 30-50MB in size.  The source file
changes several times a day.  rsync is launched on the destination host
every 1-2 minutes using the following command:

/usr/bin/rsync --stats --verbose --bwlimit=16 --delete -Cavz
${hostname}::grids ${localdir}

Since the file only changes several times a day, most of the rsync commands
do nothing.  Most of the time when the source file changes, rsync pulls the
source file over just fine.

Occasionally rsync will "think" it needs to update the destination file when
in reality the source file has not been touched for hours.  In those cases,
the contents of the destination file do not change, but rsync still seems to
"go through the motions."  I noticed that rsync seems to think that the
source file's byte count has changed when in reality it has not.  The
results of the stats command shows the following:

-----
Number of files transferred: 1
Total file size: 38595728 bytes
Total transferred file size: 38595728 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 36412008 bytes
File list size: 84
Total bytes sent: 42362
Total bytes received: 160

sent 42362 bytes  received 160 bytes  2932.55 bytes/sec
total size is 38595728  speedup is 907.66
-----

The source file is 36412008 bytes (I confirmed this), yet rsync thinks it is
38595728 bytes.  If I am understanding things properly, rsync attempts to
move the updated bytes, finds that in reality nothing changed, and exits.
The next rsync attempt usually recognizes the correct file size.

Can anyone explain why I am seeing this behavior?  It's not causing huge
problems for me, but it is creating some minor annoyances that I would like
to resolve.

The particulars:

rsync version 2.6.3 protocol version 28 (yes, I know it's old)
source host: Red Hat 3.4.6-8
destination host: Red Hat 3.4.6-2

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!