Lower-case filenames on receiver side

Marco Bridge marco.bridge at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 11:30:27 GMT 2008

Hi everybody,
i've been using rsync for quite some time to sync files between my
laptop and my desktop
for example i use the following to backup the music library (from Mac
to Linux)
> rsync -rvzu --exclude=.DS_Store --delete --exclude 'Podcasts/*'
> $LOCAL_MUSI $REMOTE_MUSIC >> $LOGFILE

An odd thing i always noticed is that some files were always copied,
even running the above command 2 times consecutively.
This was happening only for about 30 files in a library of 3000+ songs
and with some pdf documents,
so it seemed just some weirdness in the files.

However i just noticed something interesting from today's log,
there seems to be something wrong with the capitalization of some
filenames
> deleting acdc/Back In Black/Back In Black.mp3
> deleting acdc/Back In Black/
> deleting Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Cluster one.mp3
> deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/Keep tolking.mp3
> deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/A great day for freedom.mp3
> ACDC/Back In Black/
> ACDC/Back In Black/Back In Black.mp3
> Pink Floyd/The division Bell/A great day for freedom.mp3
> Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Keep tolking.mp3
> Pink Floyd/The division bell/Cluster one.mp3

The folder 'ACDC/' is copied to the other computer as 'acdc/'
for this reason the next time it will be deleted and re-sent.

in the Pink Floyd case, look at how the 'B' in 'Bell' changes
In this case the folder name seems to be ok on the receiver side,
but rsync deletes the entire folder anyway.

Notice that there are many other file in my library with mixed upper
and lower-case names
(also full upper/lower-case) and they're not affected.

What could be causing that?

Best regards
Marco

More info
*Source
Filesystem: Mac OS Extended
Macintosh, OSX 10.5 Leopard
rsync  version 2.6.3  protocol version 28
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
batchfiles,
               inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

*Destination
Ubuntu Linux 7.10
Filesystem: vfat (fat32)
rsync  version 2.6.9  protocol version 29
Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
             batchfiles, inplace, IPv6, ACLs,
             64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums