Suggestions for basic rsync configuration

Peter Heiss pete.heiss at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:36:51 GMT 2008

Wayne Davison-2 wrote:

> Search for the string "admins" in the config file.  You presumably set
> the gid in more than one spot, such as in the module's settings.

I have checked the config file and have not found any duplicates. Here is my
config file:

uid = user
gid = users
read only = true
use chroot = true
transfer logging = true
log format = %h %o %f %l %b
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
hosts allow = *
slp refresh = 300

[remote]
        path = /rsync/backup_out
        comment = Verzeichnis fuer rsync
        auth users = root
        secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

I am also having problems again with the daemon, it is not responding to
repests... instead it just times out. It works fine without any problems
when I transfer files without the daemon. I am starting to loose myself here
I think with the daemon thing. With everything configured on the Firewall
correctly, and with all ports opened, no idea what I am still missing. I
think I will just go without the daemon and just use the regular thing
without the daemon. Is there anything that you can suggest from my config
file? Everthing looks ok to me.

-----
Computers are like air conditioners. They both dont work, if you open
windows.