Permission denied when running from xinetd

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Wed Nov 28 08:22:45 GMT 2007

On Tue 27 Nov 2007, henro001 at gmail.com wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 11:38 PM, Matt McCutchen <matt at mattmccutchen.net> wrote:

> > root.  Set a shell script like the following as the "server" in the
> > xinetd configuration to verify that the daemon is running as root and to
> > strace it to get more information about the failed chdir:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo $UID $EUID >/tmp/rsync.ids
> > exec strace -f -o /tmp/rsync.strace /usr/bin/rsync --daemon
> >

> I have set the script as server, here is the section  of strace output
> for both scenarios:

I think a very important part of using that script was to determine the
ids, as in: what got written to /tmp/rsync.ids
(Aside: I would have used "id > /tmp/rsync.ids", not rely on UID being
set, I believe that's a bash extension, although I may be confused due
to having been brought up on SysVR2 Unix :-)

Paul Slootman