Rsync stalls

Joe Demeny jd1987 at borozo.com
Tue Nov 27 21:33:05 GMT 2007

I am trying to rsync a machine running CYGWIN_NT-5.2 server 1.5.24(0.156/4/2)
to another which runs FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE; both with rsync 2.6.9.

I'm trying to "pull" the files from the Cygwin machine with:

/usr/local/bin/rsync -avz --delete --delete-excluded -e "ssh"
[user]@[host]:"/cygdrive/e/Shared" /home/[host]

However, rsync stalls. This seems to be happening when there are some new
large file(s) on [host] - or perhaps too many files? The total is about 30 GB
and 55,000 files.

On the FreeBSD box the connection state is FIN_WAIT_1. On the Cygwin side the
connection state is ESTABLISHED. The connections seem to be hanging around
indefinitely.

If I "push" the files from the Cygwin machine, rsync runs fine and exits with
no error.

How can I resolve this problem?

--
Joe Demeny