Permission denied when running from xinetd

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Nov 27 04:38:01 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 17:37 -0500, freightcar at gmail.com wrote:
> When I run rsyncd from xinetd and try to rsync I will get permission
> denied error:
>
> rsync: chdir /home/test failed : Permission denied (13)

That's very bizarre, since the daemon is ostensibly running as root and
the permissions on /home/test clearly should allow the chdir.  Make sure
that xinetd is running as root so that it can launch the rsync daemon as
root.  Set a shell script like the following as the "server" in the
xinetd configuration to verify that the daemon is running as root and to
strace it to get more information about the failed chdir:

#!/bin/bash
echo $UID $EUID >/tmp/rsync.ids
exec strace -f -o /tmp/rsync.strace /usr/bin/rsync --daemon

Matt