post transfer script for forcing perms

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Nov 18 22:45:25 GMT 2007

Matt McCutchen wrote:

thanks for the suggestions.  This gives me some options to work with.  I really
like the idea of the post-xfer exec option but unfortunately, my  installed
rsync is a bit old  (2.6.6) and I'm not exactly keen on trashing my environment
with tarball installs  because of the difficulties encountered further down the
road when you upgrade the entire OS to a new release.  But, you gave me two
other options to work with so that should solve the problem. Looks like it's
time to move away from deltacopy and try cwrsync.

I think I'm going to need a script anyway unless I can get everything set up
exactly right (  owner, group, umask) so that new files are created properly.
Still, the attribute settings make a lot of sense and are something I can test
quickly and easily.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your suggestions will also help me solve
another problem.  I really like the backup model using hard links as a way of
shrinking disk space used by multiple backup images.  Unfortunately, all the
ones I've seen pull data  from the data source to the backup machine.  This
model doesn't work well on a laptop that is not always connected to the net.
Using some of the techniques you show here, it would be possible to trigger the
backup process and push the data from the laptop.

thank you very much for your suggestions.

---eric