error with rsync and ssh

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Mar 23 00:55:05 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 06:22:11PM -0300, Roberto Pereyra wrote:
> Seems like a ssh issue because if I use the standard rsync port
> (without shh) works  well.

Those are two different things.  Without ssh, you're connecting to an
existing rsync daemon.  With ssh (via -e), you're using a remote shell
to login to a remote host and start a NEW rsync process to handle a
single request.  I'd imagine that this new rsync process can't find its
config file (it looks in the home directory of the user by default).