disconnected synchronization (mostly unidirectional)

Konrad Karl kk_konrad at gmx.at
Mon Mar 12 18:31:52 GMT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:20:57AM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 11:12:58AM +0100, Konrad Karl wrote:
> > Given this capability together with the batch mode it should be
> > possible to do what I want.
>
> Not really, because rsync still needs to ask for the checksums to see
> what has changed.  If you're fine sending whole files, it would be easy
> to code something up in perl that just compared size+mtime to a list and

yes, I was only considering --whole-files and I would prefer to have
a solution which uses rsync - there exist wierd filenames and rsync
has proven to cope fine with those. (so far)

But first I will have to understand how exactly rsync is working
internally for the simple case: create a batch for:
rsync some_local_tree -> another_local_directory

it just would need the fileinfo of another_local_directory from
somewhere (database, whatever) in order to generate rsync batch
files with --whole-files or am I missing something?

Konrad