question about compare-dest

Allan Gottlieb gottlieb at nyu.edu
Fri Mar 9 03:39:02 GMT 2007

I have a directory dumps on my laptop containing several dumps of
various levels.

local-0-2007-03-03.gz
local-4-2007-02-12.gz
local-4-2007-02-19.gz
local-4-2007-02-26.gz
local-4-2007-03-05.gz
local-5-2007-03-04.gz
local-5-2007-03-06.gz
local-5-2007-03-07.gz
local-5-2007-03-08.gz

Naturally the level-0 is the largest and rarely changes.

On the target (access.cims.nyu.edu) I have a directory
/scratch4/gottlieb/dumps

rsync (with --checksum and other options) worked great to push the
dumps to access prior to my including a level 0 dump, at which point I
exceeded the space available on /scratch4

So I moved the level-0 (on the target only) to
/scratch3/gottlieb/dumps
and added
    cmpare-dest=/scratch3/gottlieb
to my rsync command as shown below.

This may indeed be working correctly, but I noticed that no matter how
many -v I use (I tried up to 4) I could not get a confirmation that
local-0 was found to agree with the copy on the target, even though I
use --checksum.

I do see several messages concerning level-0 but not the desired
     dumps/local-0-2007-03-03.gz is uptodate

thanks in advance for any information and a large thanks for rsync.

allan

rsync --delete --archive --partial --progress
      --compare-dest=/scratch3/gottlieb
      --rsync-path=/usr/local/bin/rsync --checksum -v -v -v -v
      /mnt/hdc7/dumps access.cims.nyu.edu:/scratch4/gottlieb