Newbie problems

Matt McCutchen hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 13:52:09 GMT 2007

On 6/2/07, Boniforti Flavio <boniforti.f at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Matt McCutchen <hashproduct+rsync at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You should set both to root so that the server (more properly called a
> > daemon) has the power to set the ownership of the backup files.
> > Otherwise, the daemon will silently skip setting the ownership.
>
> That is done in the /etc/rsyncd.conf file, right?

Yes.  Your rsyncd.conf looks good.

> Well, I've set it up like you told me to, but after having executed
> the first "rsync" I got following permissions on /backups:
>
> 755 and "bonny:bonny" as the owner of that directory.
>
> Is this OK?
> Why is this happening?

This happens because you used a trailing slash on ACER-TM525TX/ in the
client command line, so ACER-TM525TX is copied onto
rsync://bonny@192.168.1.69/Backup = /backups itself, so the ownership
and permissions of /backups are set to those of ACER-TM525TX .  To
avoid that, copy ACER-TM525TX to a subdirectory of /backups by either
omitting the trailing slash or specifying the subdirectory in either
the rsyncd.conf ( path = /backups/ACER-TM525TX ) or the client command
line ( rsync://bonny@192.168.1.69/Backup/ACER-TM525TX ).

Matt