Question on --backup --backup-dir Switches For Incremental Backs

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Jan 29 18:24:44 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 10:34:39AM -0500, Blake Carver wrote:
> I thought the --backup --backup-dir Switches were used to store just
> the files that had changed in seperate directories, am I wrong on
> that?

It stores the old files that are being updated or deleted, moving (or
copying) them before they are changed in the current transfer.  If you
want to store the new, changed files, use one or more --compare-dest
options (one pointing at an old full backup, and an extra option for any
intervening incrementals).  However, I think that --link-dest is a
better way to go for any OS that supports the hard-linking of files.