SIGUSER1 and rsync

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Feb 2 22:38:27 GMT 2007

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 11:46:47AM +0530, Preeti Joshi wrote:
> What is the behaviour of rsync on receiving SIGUSER1 signal?

Rsync calls exit_cleanup() upon reception of SIGUSER1.  The only
exception to this is if it is already inside the exit_cleanup()
function.  It only sends this signal when a code path causes an
abnormal exit condition, and then the signal is only sent to any
process IDs that it spawned (as recorded by do_fork()).

The generator also uses SIGUSER2 to signal the receiver at the end
of the run that it is time to exit (so that both processes exit at
the same time).

> Can I block it in someway so that my application that repeatedly
> calls rsync and rsync itself will run smoothly.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Is this signal being sent to
rsync via some other means?