default options in --server mode

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Fri Dec 7 18:27:17 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 11:18 -0500, Doug Lochart wrote:
> I am running an rsync command that will have the --server option
> appended automagically by rsync.  However I do notice that other
> default options go along with it.  This is what i am seeing:
>
> rsync --server -vlogDtpr --log-format=%o
>
> Is there a way to keep these from appearing or should I just append
> the same options on the end with different values to override these?

If the client is passing an option to the server, it is generally for a
good reason, most commonly because you passed the option to the client
and the server needs to help the client carry out the requested
behavior.  Some options (including --log-file, --log-file-format, and
--fake-super) can meaningfully be passed directly to the server, but
messing with other server options is asking for trouble.  Which
automatically passed option are you unhappy with and why?

Matt