rsync always gets index.html

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.at
Sun Aug 5 11:19:20 GMT 2007

I use to sync several servers with rsync for years now. One strange thing I
still havent figured out:

while rsync does its job perfectly will, it cant refuse to transfer all files
with "index.html" in it, even if the files havent change.

example:
the following files are the same for years, but every night rsync copies them again:

opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html.de
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html.en
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html.ja.jis
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html.ko.euc-kr
opt_noraid/marcus/usr/local/apache2-140a/manual/vhosts/index.html.ru.koi8-r

it doesnt due much harm cause these small files dont use much bandiwidth, but
its just confusing me and I dont have any clue why rsync copies these files
again & again. I read the docs and tried to search google, but its difficult to
search for a term "index.html" ;)

thnx
peter