Rsync hangs with no visible reason

Milutin Voinivich team at nasbackup.com
Tue Apr 17 11:33:45 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a daily rsync job (in cron) that hangs in ps process list (linux)
until i kill it.

The rsync suppose to backup one directory which includes about 2500
sub-dirs in it,

e.g rsync of /home/user/stuff

where stuff has about 2500 sub-dirs inside, but not many files in each
sub-directory.

I checked that the job runs when both client and server doesn't run any
other CPU consuming processes.

Running the command manually from shell, always succeeds and ending in
about 25-30 minutes.

The rsync, usually, hangs just after "building file list... Done", and i
couldn't find any error in the server's rsyncd log.

adding -vv didn't give any clue.

In `ps aux | grep rsync` it shows that the process is "S
Interruptible sleep (waiting for an event to complete)"

What can be the cause of that behaviour?

What can i do to debug better, or solve it?

I'm using  rsync 2.6.3 (RHES 4 rpm)

Regards,
Milutin Voinivich
NasBackup