code 23 error.

Dale Qualls deq at pattishall.com
Mon Sep 18 17:33:48 GMT 2006

Hello everyone!

I didn't find anything in the archives that seemed similar (same error, different offending lines of code).

I'm having an issue with rsync on a couple of my servers.  A couple of others run just fine but 2 of them give me the same message (see below) when I try to do backups from one server to these linux boxes.  All of the linux boxes are the same and have the save version of Linux on them (RH 8, 2.4.18-14 kernel, I know, it's an old kernel but the boxes only do this and aren't accessible via internet or physically by anyone other than me and a couple of other personnel).

Here's the error:
wrote 33327233 bytes  read 564 bytes  322007.70 bytes/sec
total size is 54925588537  speedup is 1648.04
rsync error: partial transfer (code 23) at main.c(578)

I'm on rsync 2.6.8

Any thoughts?   I get this regardless of running it manually or via cron.  I'm using "rsync -avzu --stats /mnt/server/share /mnt/backup2/server/share" as a command line.

Thanks!!

Here is the portion of main.c starting with line 577:
**************************snip**********************************
static void do_server_sender(int f_in, int f_out, int argc, char *argv[])
{
 struct file_list *flist;
 char *dir = argv[0];

 if (verbose > 2) {
  rprintf(FINFO, "server_sender starting pid=%ld\n",
   (long)getpid());
 }

 if (am_daemon && lp_write_only(module_id)) {
  rprintf(FERROR, "ERROR: module is write only\n");
  exit_cleanup(RERR_SYNTAX);
  return;
 }
 if (am_daemon && lp_read_only(module_id) && remove_sent_files) {
  rprintf(FERROR,
      "ERROR: --remove-sent-files cannot be used with a read-only module\n");
  exit_cleanup(RERR_SYNTAX);
  return;
 }

 if (!relative_paths && !push_dir(dir)) {
  rsyserr(FERROR, errno, "push_dir#3 %s failed",
   full_fname(dir));
  exit_cleanup(RERR_FILESELECT);
 }
 argc--;
 argv++;

 if (argc == 0 && (recurse || list_only)) {
  argc = 1;
  argv--;
  argv[0] = ".";
 }

 flist = send_file_list(f_out,argc,argv);
 if (!flist || flist->count == 0) {
  exit_cleanup(0);
 }
 the_file_list = flist;

 io_start_buffering_in();
 io_start_buffering_out();

 send_files(flist,f_out,f_in);
 io_flush(FULL_FLUSH);
 handle_stats(f_out);
 if (protocol_version >= 24)
  read_final_goodbye(f_in, f_out);
 io_flush(FULL_FLUSH);
 exit_cleanup(0);
}

The preceding message and any attachments may contain confidential
information protected by the attorney-client or other privilege.  If you
believe that it has been sent to you in error, please reply to the sender
that you received the message in error and then delete it.  Nothing in
this email message, including the typed name of the sender and/or this
signature block, is intended to constitute an electronic signature unless
a specific statement to the contrary is included in the message.