rsync, mac OSX tiger, and UFS

Victor Shoup shoup at cs.nyu.edu
Tue Sep 5 14:01:48 GMT 2006

Hi,

I'd like to make a "feature request" for users of rsync on Mac OSX
Tiger (10.4)

Given the current sorry state of backup tools on Mac OSX, the only
way I've found to reliably backup data from Mac OSX is to keep the data
on a UFS volume, and to then backup it up using *standard* rsync (no -E)
to a Unix file server.  This way, all the the "apple double" are
treated as ordinary files,
and are backed up exactly when (and only when!) they are modified.

This is all well and good, but unfortunately, this usage does not extend
to using rsync to copy *to* an Apple UFS volume (either from another
Apple UFS volume,
or a remote volume on a Unix file server).  The problem is the
"special treatment" that
some low-level system calls give to "apple double" files.
For example,  if rsync first copies a file ._foo, and then file foo,
the action of copying foo
*erases* the copy of ._foo on the destination volume.

Unfortunately, this happens at a very low level: if you make a system
call to "open"
to create a file "foo", and if "._foo" exists, then "._foo" will be
erased.
However, if you do it in reverse order, then all is well.

This is only an issue with Tiger (10.4): earlier versions of OSX were
not so "clever",
and therefore, did not cause this trouble.

Anyway, it would be nice if the standard version of rsync worked
"properly" on Tiger,
so that all files (regular and apple double) were treated like, well,
ordinary files.
I don't even know if this is possible, given the hacks to the OS that
Apple has introduced.
Also, unfortunately, who knows what hacks Apple will introduce in
Leopard (10.5).

It would also be nice if --extended-attributes worked, but that is an
orthogonal issue.

   -- Victor