rsync+iconv

Yakov Hrebtov jake at generation.ru
Mon Oct 30 05:00:15 GMT 2006

Wayne Davison wrote:
> I'm just
> guessing at ideas here, since I can't get it to fail, this is the kind
> of detective work you'll need to do to figure out what is causing the
> problem.

The cause of problem was the chrooted server. When I switched off chrooting,
the problem disappear.

I've done strace on my test program. Trace shows that some files in
/usr/lib/gconv/ must be opened by iconv_open (at least on my Fedora Core 5 and
ALT linux systems). Of course, these files are not accessible in chroot jail.
Hence "use chroot = 1" option is not compatible with --iconv switch.

Wayne, may be you should mention this issue in docs (considering, that
chrooting daemon is default behavior)? Iconv.diff is the only place for this
moment to do this.