Storing ownership / device nodes without root

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Oct 26 15:45:08 GMT 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 01:25:56PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> I was thinking of options like '--source-fake-root' and '--dest-fake-
> root'. The client turns '--dest-fake-root' into '--source-fake-root'
> on the remote rsync process.

I think this would be a useful thing to support.  I don't like the
options tied in to source/dest, though as that makes it harder to
reverse a copy.  I think that adding a single option, --fake-super
(since we already have --super) that does not get forwarded to the
other side would be all we'd need.  The user could then run this:

rsync -av --rsync-path='rsync --fake-super' host:/src/ /dest/
rsync -av --rsync-path='rsync --fake-super' /src/ host:/dest/

to affect the remote side.  Then, we'd just add a daemon config option
that would allow the config file to choose if the daemon side should
run in fake-super mode or not.

So, feel free to write up something, and I'll make sure it gets put
into the patches dir and is considered for a future release.