tcl/tk rsync wrapper planned

Chuck Wolber chuckw at quantumlinux.com
Tue Oct 17 15:58:26 GMT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, pobox at verysmall.org wrote:

> > Any chance you'd be willing to consider doing it in Java? There's
> > already at least one, now unmaintained, Java class wrapper to rsync
> > that I know of (not to be confused with the Java implementation of
> > rsync, also currently unmaintained). You'd be able to pick up where
> > they left off. I would consider helping on a project like that.
>
> I spent some time on the Java and Tcl IRC channels today and both agree
> that Tcl/Tk is better (lighter, faster) for this specific purpose.

Sure. Given a specific purpose, it's always easier to dial in certain
variables.

> But the main goal is to have the tool and not to do it in a specific
> language (as long as the language serves the purpose) - so if there is
> more collaboration around the Java idea - sure!

I've always wanted to have an api like that, but I've always been wary of
chasing protocol changes. A wrapper is the simplest way, but it's still a
bad approach IMHO. librsync is sort of a good idea too, but the idea still
chases the protocols, and it looks pretty dead to boot.

How do we get rsync itself to expose a language independent programmable
API that's cleaner than the fork/exec/commandline model? What would such a
thing even look like?

..Chuck..

--
http://www.quantumlinux.com
 Quantum Linux Laboratories, LLC.

 "The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply
  social values more noble than mere monetary profit." - FDR